Monday, February 7, 2011
What to do with Cauliflower!
I know this is going to sound strange, but I have a bit of a big sister complex with cauliflower. I don't like it when people say, "But broccoli is so much healthier - why eat a white vegetable when you can eat green, green broccoli?" Well, lots of reasons!
For one, stop picking on cauliflower. What did it ever do to you? Except love you. Second, it IS healthy. What vegetable isn't? Sure, it doesn't boast the chlorophyll content of it's cousin broccoli, but it DOES have lots of fiber, great taste and versatility, the anti-cancer benefits of the cruciferous vegetable family, and lots of vitamins. Enough said. Let's do this.
What do you do with Cauliflower?
1. Make my award-winning Roasted Cauliflower dish. I've been told that certain meat-eating husbands prefer it to steak!
2. Cauliflower is delicious raw with vegan ranch dip. My new favorite vegan ranch is simple: Just start with some reduced fat Vegenaise (made with olive oil and flax - my favorite). Stir in a few dashes of apple cider vinegar and water, along with a generous shake of dried parsley. Add some garlic granules, onion granules, and sea salt. YUM.
3. Steam cauliflower and puree until smooth. It can then be added to soups, mashed potatoes, or dips. OR...
4. For healthy vegan mozzerella sticks: Mix cauliflower puree (see #3) with some mozzerella style vegan cheese (Daiya works great). Roll into little log shapes and freeze until firm. Genty roll in seasoned bread crumbs and pan-fry in olive oil over medium-high heat. Serve with organic marinara sauce.
5. For a yummy, quick dinner: Pan fry cauliflower in olive oil until golden brown and crisp. Toss with lemon zest, whole grain pasta, fresh garlic, rosemary, sea salt, and pepper.
Please tune in tomorrow when our featured fruit or veg will be...